More Content / Content Suggestion?

Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Three Filmmaking Apps You've Never Heard Of


While I have previously shared my list of recommended apps for cinematography, this week I thought I would add three apps that I have stumbled upon recently, and now use in my own filmmaking endeavors. Here are three apps that can help your own production, and that you've probably never heard of.


Dark Sky
My main go to app for weather information has been Weather Bug. I still think it is a great app for forecasting weather, and tracking it on a big picture level. But wouldn't it be great if you could know that the rain that is delaying your shoot will subside in about 15 minutes, and you'll have a window of 35 minutes before it starts raining again?



That is where Dark Sky comes in handy- at least if you live or work in climates where the weather can change every 10-20 minutes (like I do). If you're in a location where the weather is fairly consistent, then this app will be of little value. So far, I have enjoyed it and have found it to be surprisingly accurate.



One Sheet
Okay, so I am not a writer, nor am I a director. But that doesn't mean that I don't get inspiration for story ideas. One Sheet is a quick and handy little app that allows me to quickly write down my ideas and keep them organized, all in one place. And, even better than that, I can export them out as industry standard PDF's to email out. So that way, the next time Christopher Nolan asks me for a story idea, I'll have it ready at my finger tips. Alright, that will never happen- but at least now I can easily organize, sort, and share my story ideas.

(You might also like: Cinematography Apps You Should Be Using)


 

Shot Lister
When I stumbled across this app, I was surprised that I had not heard about it before. The main purpose of this app is to help you keep track of, organize, and reorganize the day's work. While this app is fully featured with just about all of the options you could need on a large production, I have also found it to be even more valuable on small productions, or even when I go out for shoots on my own.

Being able to create a shot list, check it off as I get the shots, and reorganize as the day changes, has allowed me to stay a lot more sane. And I never have to worry about misplacing my list, as it is right there on my iPhone or iPad.

If you do get this app, I recommend creating the list in Excel or in numbers. At least for my own way of working, I'm a lot faster at inputting the needed info on a computer than on the iPad or iPhone.

So those are the three apps I've found most helpful recently. Are there any "new" apps that you have found helpful and can recommend?

Until Next Time - Get Out There And Shoot!

No comments:

Post a Comment